Resources for First Generation Students
When you’re the first…
If you are the first person in your family to attend a four-year college or university to attain a bachelor’s degree, you are a first-gen student. Congratulations! Being a first-gen student is something to be very proud of.
Being first generation means something different to everyone and presents it’s own unique challenges and opportunities. At SUNY Plattsburgh, our campus is comprised of students from many different backgrounds and cultures. Nearly half of our student population are students who identify as first-gen. So, you’re part of a large and welcoming community at SUNY Plattsburgh.
As a current or prospective first-gen student, it is important for you to learn about two offices on campus that are designed just for you. Please read about each one.
How We Can Help
We understand that attending college can seem like a different world, so we put together a list of offices that are here to help you.
- Academic Advising — SUNY Plattsburgh offers one-on-one academic advising to help you with things like understanding course requirements, signing up for classes and staying on track to graduate on time. Academic Advising is located on the first floor of Feinberg Library.
- Learning Center — Take advantage of free tutoring, open study sessions, academic personal trainers and more. The Learning Center is located on the first floor of Feinberg Library.
- Student Support Services — Come to Student Support Service (SSS) for help with extended-time testing, special tutoring sessions and note-taking assistance. SSS is located at 011 Macomb Hall.
- Cost and Aid — Learn everything you need to know about loans and grants and get help with your FAFSA and TAP forms. Financial aid is located in the Kehoe Administration Building, Suite 401.
- Career Development Center — Work with career counselors, get coaching for resume and cover letter writing, help with your job search and information on graduate schools. Don’t wait until you’re a senior to check the CDC out; they help freshmen, alumni and everyone in between. The CDC is located in 118 Angell College Center.
- Center for Student Involvement — This is the place to learn how to get involved in activities that interest you! You’ll find more than 90 clubs and organizations to get involved with, including Fraternity and Sorority Life. The Center for Student Involvement is located at 106 Angell College Center.
- Student Health and Counseling Center — Visit the Health and Counseling Center to meet with physicians, nurses and licensed mental health counselors who work to make sure our students are both physically and mentally healthy. The Student Health and Counseling Center is located in the Health Center/University Police building behind Saranac Hall.
- University Police — Our fully commissioned University Police (UP) force is specially trained to work with college students to help create a respectful campus environment. University Police is located in the Health Center/University Police building behind Saranac Hall.
Nearly half of our student population are students who identify as first-gen.
We’re With You
Looking to speak to someone who understands what it means to be first generation? Here’s a list of SUNY Plattsburgh employees ready to help you with your unique first-gen questions.
|Dr. Michele Carpentier||Student Support Services||518-564-2810||[email protected]|
|Ashley Durocher||Student Support Services||518-564-2810||[email protected]|
|Janis Krug||Cardinal Classroom||518-564-5140||[email protected]|
|Steve Matthews||Campus Housing and Community Living||518-564-3824||[email protected]|
|Tania Armelino||Women’s Soccer Program||518-564-4141||[email protected]|
|Thomas Thompson||Student Support Services||518-564-2810||[email protected]|
|Cassie Christman||Educational Opportunity Program||518-564-2263||[email protected]|
|Sally Urban||Career Development Center||518-564-2071||[email protected]|
|Jim Sherman||Campus Housing and Community Living||518-564-3824||[email protected]tsburgh.edu|
|Anne Petro||Student Support Services||518-564-2810||[email protected]|