The word “midterms” strikes fear in many graduate students, and rightfully so! Oftentimes you have group projects, time-consuming essays, presentations, weekly readings, and holy cow maybe even tests on top of all that. “Midterms” aren’t necessarily only during the midpoint of the semester, when professor’s post your grades; they often span a few weeks into late October and early November. The sheer length of this time period is what really tests our time management skills.
What are graduate students to do?
The Grad Admissions office has got your back.
We’ve asked our grad students to share their carefully curated playlists, most treasured radio stations, and special songs that they use to help themselves push through midterm season!
[Disclaimer: not all musical genres are represented below, and you may not like what’s included! If so, we encourage you to get crackin’ on your own midterms playlist, and share it with us on Facebook!]
- If you’re feeling stressed, try BA/MST graduate student Carolyn Smith’s “Like The Inside of A Guitar playlist” to get back in touch with your breath and calm your mind.
Magic 8- And the Giraffe
Skinny Love- Bon Iver
Little Number, Acoustic- BOY
Cherry Wine- Hozier
Cleopatra- The Lumineers
All We Are- Matt Nathanson
Cherry- Moose Blood
Ditmas- Mumford & Sons
Organs- Of Monster and Men
Woodwork- Sleeping At Last
Don’t Say- The Wild Life
- If you’re feeling sluggish and/or unmotivated, try Clinical Mental Health graduate student, and admissions staff member, Skylar Hunyadi’s “Fall 2017 playlist” for some auditory inspiration!
Sweet Disaster- DREAMERS
Fresh Eyes- Andy Grammar
There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back- Shawn Mendes
In One Ear- Cage the Elephant
Renegades- X Ambassadors
Tighten Up- The Black Keys
Take It From Me- KONGOS
Snap Out Of It- The Arctic Monkeys
Victorious- Panic At The Disco
Naked- X Ambassadors
Could Have Been Me- The Struts
Left Hand Free- alt-J
HandClap- Fitz and the Tantrums
Dog Days are Over- Florence + The Machine
Talk Too Much- COIN
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head- Butch Cassidy (soundtrack version)
- If you’re feeling calm and want to stay that way, try BA/MST alumna Stephanie Boutin’s “Coffee Music playlist” to maintain inner peace.
Sleep On The Floor- The Lumineers
Ophelia- The Lumineers
Jackie and Wilson- Hozier
In a Week- Hozier
7 Years- Lukas Graham
Riptide- Vance Joy
Blame It On Me- George Ezra
You Give Me Something- James Morrison
Home- Michael Buble
- If you just need to just chill and be absorbed by some powerful tunes, try Student Affairs and Higher Ed. graduate student Patrick Hazilla’s “Prog Instrumental Playlist” for captivating rock and metal vibes.
Champagne- Polyphia (ft. Nick Johnston)
Culture Shock- Polyphia
Inner Assassins- Animals as Leaders
The Glass Bridge- Animals as Leaders
Wave Bounce- Chon
- Arlis Garcia (Clinical Mental Health) – “Bachata” Pandora Radio
- Parker Carpenter (BA/MST Alumni) – Rain and Thunder sounds on Youtube
- Taylor Tessitore (BA/MST) – Red Hot Chili Peppers Pandora Radio
- Chenaniah Henderson (Clinical Mental Health) – Blue Guitar Legends and Oscar Peterson Pandora Radio
- Molly Martindale (MST)- Yoga Music Pandora Radio
We asked what your favorite motivational study songs are and you responded!
- Sarah Yancey (Clinical Mental Health) – The Lord of Rings Soundtrack (she wishes she were kidding!)
- Jane Hall (School Psychology) – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Brooke Callioras (Clinical Mental Health) – With or Without You by 2 Cellos
- Sami Burgess (Clinical Mental Health) – Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeren
- Elizabeth Canne (M.S.T.) – I’m Yours by Jason Mraz
- Sam Loreman (Clinical Mental Health) – Honey I’m Good by Andy Grammar
If you feel like sharing your own playlists and stations with your fellow grads, please link them in the comments below, or share it with us on our Facebook page! We would love to hear what keeps you going throughout the semester.
Come and take a break from your busy grad life and have some fun at a great price! Our next event is Bowling Night at North Bowl Lanes on Thursday, November 9th from 6-11pm! It’s only $8 per person, which includes 2 games and a shoe rental!
We want to know how you’re doing!
Contact the Grad office if you have any questions or concerns during your semester.
Phone: (518) 564-4723
Toll-Free: (800) 723-9515 (In U.S. and Canada)
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm