campus resources · General Grad School Advice · Graduate Student Experiences · Student Perspectives

Write This Down!: Grads Reveal Their Most Treasured On-Campus Resources

suny-plattsburgh-2015-0915-0086

Whether you’re new to campus, or you attended SUNY Plattsburgh for your undergraduate degree, you may not be aware of some of the incredible resources available to you as a graduate student.  From library resources, to book nooks, we’ve got the inside scoop about the on-campus resources from the staff/current graduate students in the Graduate Admissions office here at Plattsburgh State University. 

Skylar Hunyadi: Graduate Admissions Assistant

“Hiya! I’m Skylar and I attended Plattsburgh for my undergrad–so I’ve been here awhile now! There are some superb resources on this campus, so many, in fact, that pairing it down was not easy.  But here you go, take them or leave them, but I think you should take them!”

17457410_762070330614580_992805390062305304_n

The Claude J. Clarke Learning Center (L.C.)Learning Center

The L.C. is the place to be! It’s located in the Feinberg Library, room 103 (first floor).  They do not tutor in graduate-specific course areas, however, they do offer writing tutors which can be immensely helpful to you as graduate student (I was a writing tutor!).  They work with all facets of writing, from brainstorming, to grammar and citations.  If you’re interested in being tutored, you can use the space to study instead.  It’s never dead quiet; there’s always friendly conversation and tutoring happening.  In short, the energy in the L.C. is motivating.

Student Health and Counseling Center at SUNY Plattsburgh

Student Health CenterTucked behind the School Store is the Health Center, where you can receive multiple services including basic health care, HIV testing, nutritional advice, and a service I find exceptionally valuable: counseling!  In the fall semester, around Mid-November, I begin to let the stress get to me. Stress management becomes, well, more stressful than beneficial.  This is when I know to make an appointment with the Health Center’s Psychological services office.  Confidentiality is of the utmost importance to their counselors.  The first time I went in for an appointment–which usually lasts approximately an hour–, I noticed white noise machines on the floor outside each counseling room.  This calmed me down and allowed me to open up just a bit more.  Their approach is “short-term, goal-oriented therapy,” ideal for the semester-long timeline for students.  If you’re feeling overwhelmed and really want to talk to someone, give Counseling Services a call at (518) 564-3086.

The Book Nook in Champlain Valley HallBook

Champlain Valley Hall is the big, brick building located on Rugar street, next to Whiteface Hall.  This place used to be my home in undergrad when I was an English major.  The Book Nook works like this: take a book if you’re so inclined, leave a book if you are so inclined.  I have stacks of just-for-fun books from this box.  There is some good stuff!  I’ve left quite a few books as well.  Fun fact: my dad actually made this bookshelf and I want to embarrass him by showing it off!  It’s registered on the map as an official Little Free Library box, so people from the community can contribute as well.  Albeit a small resource, it brings me a unique happiness each time I visit it’s overflowing contents–(this is an old picture…it’s usually packed).  So, if you have a free moment in between classes/work, wander into Champlain Valley Hall to take a book, leave a book, or just enjoy browsing!

Tammy Bergen

“Hi, I’m Tammy and I just completed my first year at SUNY Plattsburgh.  After working professionally for over 18 years, I decided to attend the Clinical Mental Health Counseling graduate program here at Plattsburgh State.  As a new student on campus, I found these resources to be especially helpful!”

tam3

*Reminder: all graduate students can attend any events, join any organizations on campus. All graduate students should get their money’s worth and take advantage of the services available to them.

Feinberg Library                                

Research & Resource Citing

library

The Feinberg Library, located in the middle of campus, has some valuable research tips, plus web and print resources for research. All papers that are written in grad school require you to cite all your sources. This is a helpful guide on how on how to cite sources as things change from time-to-time.Check out this link for information on inter library loan, campus software resources and e-books research guide.

Textbooks on Reserve

textbooks

Tired of purchasing expensive textbooks? I was able to request two textbooks last semester for one of my classes since funds were limited.  Try Feinberg Library’s Textbooks on Reserve! These books can be checked out for two-hour periods at the second-floor Service Desk in Feinberg Library.  Or, you can request to reserve textbooks for the semester.  Not all books are available, however.

Study Carrels 

Carrell

I’m always looking for some quiet time when I study so these carrels are very nice for privacy.  These are located on the third-floor mezzanine of Feinberg Library. You can use this online form to request a carrel. You may also use our printable version of the form and bring it to Feinberg’s second-floor Service Desk.

Before submitting your request, please read the Carrel Reserve Procedures: Carrel hours are the same as Library hours.  Graduate Student carrel assignments are for one semester at a time; they can be renewed.

• If demand for carrels is high, you may be asked to share your carrel.
  • No covers or obstructions are permitted on windows in a carrel.
  • Circulating library materials left in carrels must be checked-out.
  • Carrels are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.

Student Job and Internship Postings

Looking for a job while in graduate school?5328193347e29_80fb8e3e17eb8a5e700c0010269f8649281d4c4b.png

The SUNY Plattsburgh Career Development Center provides assistance to students seeking employment on- and off-campus.  For those interested in Part-time jobs on campus; visit https://sunyplattsburgh-csm.symplicity.com/ for more information.

The Career Center offers services that address the particular needs of graduate and professional students, such as advanced workshops, job searches for international graduate and professional students, one-on-one career advising and special books and resources for graduate and professional students.

Graduate and Professional Career Fair

career fair.jpg

The Graduate & Professional School Career is an event hosted by the Career Development Center each fall. Over 75 college representatives recruit at this event for students. Open to all SUNY Plattsburgh students and alumni, the fair offers a great opportunity to network and discover options for continuing education.

• Date: September 18, 2017
  • Time: 2:00 – 4:30 p.m.
  • Location: Warren Ballrooms, Angell Campus Center (2nd Floor)
  • Registration/set-up in Warren Ballroom: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.

Molly Martindale

“I’m Molly and I recently completed my first year as an M.S.T. graduate student in the Adolescent Education program with a focus in English. Although I’ve lived the majority of my life in Plattsburgh, the first time I set foot on campus, I was very green! I found the resources below to be useful during my first year as a grad!”

North Country Teacher Resource Center

nct_01.jpg

Located in Sibley Hall, in room 322, the North Country Teacher Resource Center is an amazing asset for graduate students in the field of education.  There are a variety of professional development resources available, including a computer lab, a SMART board, workshops, iPads, digital cameras, lamination, and poster printing.  The Resource Center is open Monday-Friday 9:a.m.-4:30p.m. during the regular, local school schedule, and during the summer, the center is open Monday-Thursday 9:a.m.-1:00p.m.  As an M.S.T. graduate student, I’ve found this resource to be especially useful during my first couple semesters!  The North Country Teacher Resource Center is also a great place to speak with local teaching professionals, and the center can offer opportunities to join a collaborative education support systems.

Fitness Center

1-fitness-center-riders-2-2015.jpg

The Fitness Center is located on the lower level of Memorial Hall in the center of the Plattsburgh State campus.  The gym provides a variety of machines, resistant and free weights, classes including spinning, cardio-kickboxing, and a climbing wall!  Working out has been proven to increase serotonin levels in the brain, and I love working out, especially in the winter time when it’s gray and snowy outside.  I think that the fitness center is a great place to relieve from stress from a crazy, busy semester!

SUNY Plattsburgh LGBTQA Online Resource Center

safe space.png

Our campus provides resources for all members of our campus community, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning members, along with faculty, staff and students who are or wish to become active and resourceful allies.  This site features National, Local and Campus resources for all community members who are looking for more information and networks of support, including PFlag, Planned Parenthood, and the Title IX Coordinator for our campus, Butterfly Blaise.

Please contact the Graduate Admissions office at 518-564-4723, or stop by Kehoe room 113 on campus to visit!  Also, feel free to email us at graduate@plattsburgh.edu if you have any questions about these (or other) resources available to you as a graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh.

Advertisements