Admission's Updates · Graduate Student Experiences · Student Posts · Tips and Hints for Grad School

New Experiences in Grad School: Study Abroad

Graduate study is all about experiencing new things, be they in the classroom or outside of it. As a graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh, you are welcome to study abroad — provided you have time in your schedule to do it!
Here is a perspective on studying abroad from a current graduate student in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S.) program. Desiree Gonzales took advantage of a great deal with a SUNY partner and was able to journey abroad while a graduate student in the winter of 2016!

Traveling abroad as a graduate student at SUNY Plattsburgh was an amazing experience for me. I have always wanted to study abroad, but I did not have the opportunity to do so as an undergrad. Now that I am back in school as a graduate student, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. I went abroad over winter break through a program with SUNY Brockport; all  SUNY students, no matter what SUNY they attend, can study abroad through any SUNY-wide program. The class I took was the “Overseas Academic Program – Splendors of the Mediterranean.”
During my time abroad, I went to various cities throughout Italy and Greece, and I was able to see numerous ancient ruins, such as the Colosseum and the Parthenon, to name a few. Going to Europe has always been on my “bucket list,” so I figured why not? Studying abroad alone gave me the opportunity to get to learn about myself, as well as meet students and professors from other schools. I was also able to learn about the cultures of both Italy and Greece, which can help me as a future Mental Health Counselor by adding to the development of my multicultural competency.

I highly recommend that if students have the time and the funds to study abroad during their graduate school winter or summer breaks, it should definitely be something that they should consider taking advantage of!

Check out these snapshots from Desiree’s trip:

Interested in learning more about studying abroad? Head over to SUNY Plattsburgh’s Study Abroad and Exchanges webpage for more information.

Advertisements