Admission's Updates · Getting to Know Plattsburgh · Student Perspectives · Student Posts

Student Perspectives – November 2016

Have you ever wondered about our current graduates and alumni’s perspectives about their programs? Look no further! In this edition of Student Perspectives, we’ve asked Scott Sheehan, a 2016 graduate of the Student Affairs and Higher Education (M.S.) program some questions about his time in grad study at SUNY Plattsburgh.

scott-sheehan
Scott and Brian Hartman, VP of Student Affairs at SUNY Plattsburgh, at the 2016 Spring Commencement Ceremony

Q. How did you become interested in the Student Affairs & Higher Education program at SUNY Plattsburgh? 

A. I became interested during the fall semester of my senior year in undergrad. I had always been interested in education and learning and thought my dream job was to be a high school History teacher and football coach.  After substitute teaching during my college breaks, I learned that I did not have the passion for teaching high school like I thought I would.  After earning a Bachelors in History and Political Science, I decided to pursue a degree in Student Affairs and Higher Education at SUNY Plattsburgh because I felt I could have the most impact on people’s lives working in this field.

Q. Can you tell us a bit about your experience in the program?Image result

A. While in the program I learned a great deal about what it means to be a Student Affairs Professional. During my time in the program I was able to intern in the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office with the incredible Allison Swick-Duttine.  I was able to attend the ACPA Annual Conference in Montreal, NEACUHO Annual Conference, NASPA Region 2 drive-in, and other conferences that were great networking opportunities in the field.  During my time at Plattsburgh I was also able to help pay for my education by having a graduate assistantship as the Residence Hall Director of Macdonough Hall.  This was an invaluable experience that prepared me for my current position as a professional Residence Hall Director.

Q. Has your experience in the Student Affairs & Higher Education program helped get you to where you are now?

A. Currently, I am working at SUNY Oswego as a Residence Hall Director, and I love my job. I work in a Residence Hall with a vibrant community that is very heavy on programming to help our students feel comfortable on campus.  My experience at SUNY Plattsburgh helped me in staying on top of my work thus far and having strategies to meet the needs of my residents.  I use what I learned about student development and leadership on a daily basis in this role. I believe that my education at SUNY Plattsburgh was an invaluable experience.

Q. What are your goals for the future? How does your education at SUNY Plattsburgh fit in with these goals?

A. In the future I would like to apply to doctoral programs in Higher Education Administration and continue to work in the field in different administrative positions. Going to school at SUNY Plattsburgh has made me confident that I will be able to complete the work necessary to earn a doctoral degree, because of the challenging coursework the Student Affairs & Higher Education program offers.  My final career goal would be to become the Vice-President of Student Affairs at a college, or even the President of an institution.

Are you interested in learning more about the Student Affairs & Higher Education (M.S.) program at SUNY Plattsburgh? Click here!

Advertisements